Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby kirito » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:50 pm

fresh wrote:khruangbin's first couple albums are dope but on first listen the new one does feel a lil sterile and i think the review does a good job pinpointing why

yeah khruangbin used to be huge here lol

kirito

Postby transitive » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:12 pm

rich uncle skeleton wrote:Lol

Or, you know, you could just try having an opinion you braindead husk.

transitive

Postby transitive » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:12 pm

That's directed towards Ian Cohen, btw.

transitive

Postby vivian darko » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:05 pm

they gave reconstruction site a 5.6???????

vivian darko

Postby vivian darko » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:05 pm

im glad pitchfork died

vivian darko

Postby auspice » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:12 am

I am always in awe of Ian's ability to confidently have public opinions despite consenting to the making of this video.

auspice

Postby Jerome » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:29 am

hey whats going on in here
Jerome

Postby Grey Poupon » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:09 am

Hey Jerome I still think about that photo of you in front of a car with bright pants sometimes
Welcome back we never leave anyone behind
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH

Grey Poupon

Postby Jerome » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:35 am

im been watching in silence like lasagna
Jerome

Postby neuartillery » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:35 am

Hum got tranched by Ian Cohen, of course, who spent a lot of the review talking about the bands Hum influenced that Cohen also happens to like. Deftones come up in the first sentence, he vaguely references younger Polyvinyl bands (i.e., American Football), he gets in a bunch of his newer references (Greet Death, etc.). It's also the second Inlet review that brings up Collective Soul, for some reason.

Anyway, if Hum's influenced by any of the bands they influenced, it's Pelican or some other doom/stoner metal type bands. I'd still rather not have the entire discussion of the record come down to "We need to situate this album within names you/I know."

neuartillery

Postby Viola Swamp » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:08 am

fresh wrote:khruangbin's first couple albums are dope but on first listen the new one does feel a lil sterile and i think the review does a good job pinpointing why

agree but "one to remember/so we won't forget" is my favorite thing they've done so far

Viola Swamp

Postby black mamba » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:14 am

i think it's time someone just start a paywalled site in the vein of the athletic. might as well make localised versions as well (again, like the athletic) since the alt weekly is pretty much dead too

black mamba
ok

Postby Grumby » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:15 am

neuartillery wrote:I'd still rather not have the entire discussion of the record come down to "We need to situate this album within names you/I know."

he does that every time though

Grumby

Postby odilon redon » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:27 am

on the one hand i feel bad bullying that dude but noone comes out of this era of pfork looking good especially for the extent to which they aided the corporate exploitation of "indie rock" *extremely ott voice

I think i attended that pitchfork festival actually if it was the one with anco and fleet foxes

odilon redon

Postby neuartillery » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:20 am

Grumby wrote:
neuartillery wrote:I'd still rather not have the entire discussion of the record come down to "We need to situate this album within names you/I know."

I'm aware of that, always the same names!

neuartillery

Postby Jerome » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:28 am

whats the best writing about music
Jerome

Postby Eyeball Kid » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:38 am

Not anything by Ian Cohen

Eyeball Kid

Postby Grumby » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:43 am

neuartillery wrote:
Grumby wrote:

the other thing he does is spouting emo history with records that have next-to-nothing to do with emo. the guy can't help himself i guess.
Last edited by Grumby on Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grumby

Postby internethandle » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:05 pm

Jerome wrote:im been watching in silence like lasagna

this is my favorite weakerthans lyric

internethandle
ok

Postby endless dave » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:16 pm

Grumby wrote:
neuartillery wrote:
Grumby wrote:

the other thing he does is spouting emo history with records that have next-to-nothing to do with emo. the guy can't help himself i guess.

the (2500 WORD!) intro for the completely superfluous top 100 emo songs he did somehow still did this. it was so clearly centering emo within him growing up in the early 2000s Taking Back Sunday kind of stuff, that while the most "popular" emo, it's also so 3rd level referential. his taste in music exists only in reflection, so it's not wild he can only write in that too. he's also taking some weird pride in this being his "beat" which is a real bummer in 2020.

endless dave

Postby Jerome » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:21 pm

internethandle wrote:
Jerome wrote:im been watching in silence like lasagna

this is my favorite weakerthans lyric

i only knew if from little wayne
Jerome

Postby neuartillery » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:12 pm

I didn't make it through all of Cohen's Rising Tide retrospective, but this part was telling

Contrary to what you might assume from basically everything I’ve written at this website (and most others), I had no idea what emo was in 2000. I’ll certainly admit to living a sheltered existence at the time, while also reminding y’all just how little regard the mainstream press had for emo even during its supposed Golden Age. Look, I watched MTV something like four hours and a day and was just as reliant on alt-rock radio. I read every issue of Rolling Stone cover-to-cover, probably multiple times, and kept up with Spin, NME, and whatever else could be found in the periodical rack at Borders. I was aware of Pitchfork and bought Dismemberment Plan and Walt Mink CDs on their endorsement, but hadn’t delved enough into their archives to see what “indie rock” really thought of emo.

June 20, 2000 was like most other Tuesdays in those years as I took my weekly trip to Plan 9 in Charlottesville to spend what little disposable income I had — on this particular release day, I had my sights set firmly on White Pony. It didn’t take long for me to be distracted by what I was hearing on the store’s PA

I don't think you needed to be there in the 80s with Rites of Spring or in the mid 90s with SDRE to be an authority on emo (not that I want to be an authority on emo, and I'll readily cop to Cohen knowing way more about almost everything post-2001 than I do), but everything comes back to this early 2000s frame for him. In a way, it's more of a late 90s zine / Pitchfork style of writing than the current "bland objectivity for SEO" approach, which is why him getting all huffy about the Weakerthans review is odd.

neuartillery

Postby loaf angel » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:17 pm

goldsoundz wrote:i'd bang that moron

loaf angel

Postby antoine » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:57 pm

Music reviews are stupid

antoine

Postby mybeardhurts » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:48 pm

Reconstruction Site was a big record for me and I remember feeling like 5.6 was generous for a website like Pitchfork back then. it of course made it 10x harder to recommend it to friends because it wasn't "approved" or maybe they were just too busy with those BNMs to care.
mybeardhurts

Postby joymonger » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:05 pm

echoing the reconstruction site love

5.6 is embarrassing

joymonger

Postby light rail coyote » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:12 pm

vivian darko wrote:they gave reconstruction site a 5.6???????

they shit on basically every weakerthans album. bullshit

light rail coyote

Postby bobble » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:35 pm

black mamba wrote:i think it's time someone just start a paywalled site in the vein of the athletic. might as well make localised versions as well (again, like the athletic) since the alt weekly is pretty much dead too

can we just launch this w boarders talking about albums they think are cool and just keep that going forever with no spon con

cred is dead everywhere i only trust hip opinions

bobble

Postby loaf angel » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:47 am

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/special-interest-the-passion-of/

consistently

The Passion Of is the sound of art-punk, industrial, ambient, techno, and glam imploding on themselves.

how often do you read a review where the sound is of "X_Y_Z collapsing in on itself"
goldsoundz wrote:i'd bang that moron

loaf angel

Postby Grumby » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:44 am

loaf angel wrote:https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/special-interest-the-passion-of/

consistently

The Passion Of is the sound of art-punk, industrial, ambient, techno, and glam imploding on themselves.

how often do you read a review where the sound is of "X_Y_Z collapsing in on itself"

this record good or? interest piqued at least

Grumby

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....