Postby sunrise » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:16 pm

xiii rules

sunrise

Postby Durham » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:07 am

Uhhhh two weeks from now???!
I preordered immediately lol

Durham

Postby VHB » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:48 am

Durham wrote:Uhhhh two weeks from now???!
I preordered immediately lol

fithos navidad to all and to all a good night
galactagogue wrote:i usually just assume no one is into me, it makes it easier to be myself.

Suspension Bridge wrote:Werewolf was the best thing to happen to me in 2015 and that includes my wedding

Kenny wrote:If you can remmeber any conversation with a cashier 30 seconds after you had it you're doing it wrong

VHB
VHS

Postby palmer eldritch » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:52 am

oh crap

palmer eldritch

Postby Kenny » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:46 am

Yeah that's a day 1 for me. I haven't played all the way through FF8 in yearrrrrrrrs. I remember maybe 2 years ago I tried to play through but I save stated just before some battle that I was too weak to beat and it turned out I hadn't saved in game for like 5 hours
[PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] (stay posi)

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those you choose to accept and live by.

Without Labour there is no Rest; nor without Fighting can the Victory be Won ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby brent » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:34 am

hmm i might have to cop that too. i’ve never played more than about an hour or two of ff8 for some reason.

brent

Postby VHB » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:54 am

8 has traditionally been a "either love it or hate it" entry in the ff/jrpg canon and it usually does not take long for you to figure out which side you come down on; dropping it after an hour like brent mentioned is fairly common. Part of it is that 7 was a hard act to follow, and they tried a lot of new/different stuff with 8 so it wouldn't just be a derivative rehash of 7 and everything they knew worked there. Unfortunately a couple of 8's big experiments failed; a lot of people didn't like or understand them (the in game tutorials are terrible) and they also tend to make 8 way too easy once you figure out the gimmick [seriously ff8 is super breakable and possibly the easiest main line FF because of that]. Similarly, the story's pretty character driven (or at least main character driven), so the story sinks or swims with them and if they don't land for you there really isn't any recovering from that.

I think the older it gets both nostalgia and distance from its release context have shined its reputation back up.

soundtrack is top-tier Uematsu and the FMVs are great esp. for the time (remasters thereof look very encouraging in the trailers)

I, obviously, really dig it and always have and hope boarders give the remaster a chance.

[square enix isn't paying me for this post but they should]
galactagogue wrote:i usually just assume no one is into me, it makes it easier to be myself.

Suspension Bridge wrote:Werewolf was the best thing to happen to me in 2015 and that includes my wedding

Kenny wrote:If you can remmeber any conversation with a cashier 30 seconds after you had it you're doing it wrong

VHB
VHS

Postby Kenny » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:01 am

I want to go on record that I love 8 to death (and always have), and it has the best music of the PSX FFs and maybe in the series in general

FF9 is the one I was a little disappointed with when it came out (esp that it was really easy, tho I always loved Vivi the rest of the cast is middling) and has gone up in appreciation as time has passed

The only thing I'll say is bad about FF8 is that the optimal way to play it is to junction magic to your attributes and if you're the type to play optimally that involves drawing magic from enemies over and over till all three characters have 100 of a lot of different magics

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those you choose to accept and live by.

Without Labour there is no Rest; nor without Fighting can the Victory be Won ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby brent » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:10 am

i'm just amped that it looks like it's a full on remaster a la the ffx / ffxii remasters and not some cheap port like ffix which honestly is god awful and a huge waste of money

brent

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:13 am

which FF should i play next? i've done

IV
VII
I

all of which i dug, probably 4 the most, though i felt a little more able to customize my characters in the other 2.

i think i have all the psx ones on the ps3, and the early ones downloaded

will probably finish parasite eve first though
Last edited by Rainbow Battle Kid on Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Kenny » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:14 am

If you don't care about graphics, 5 which is maybe the best one

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby axelrod gunnarson » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:17 am

I'd say 6 or 9 if you liked 4. If you want to build your own characters, the job system in 5 allows for plenty of customization (unless you're like me and just max all the jobs)

axelrod gunnarson
ok

Postby Beautiful Jugdish » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:19 am

hmm...and im gonna be unemployed next month...hell yeah...
If you have information that conclusively proves beyond a doubt that Nathan killed Jeffrey Epstein, please DM me.

Beautiful Jugdish

Postby Beautiful Jugdish » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:21 am

its funny cus the sheer breakability of 8 makes it pretty lame on the pure level of gameplay, but man the aesthetic is wonderful to sit in, and i can only imagine itll feel even better remastered.

like it has some of the sickest, most like comprehensive aesthetic concept. "high mystical technology" is a hell of an aesthetic concept. like you can conceive of 8 as basically the "pre-fall" world from 10.

like look at this shit:

If you have information that conclusively proves beyond a doubt that Nathan killed Jeffrey Epstein, please DM me.

Beautiful Jugdish

Postby figaro » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:36 am

I started up a replay of VIII a few months ago ripping my own copy and using epsxe...made it look pretty good messing with the settings but didn't get very far because I was getting all add with epsxe and other emulators and just playing portions of tons of old games

I think I'm gonna wait to see what the consensus on this remaster is before buying it...the main appeal to me of these FF ports is mostly just the ability to speed up battles to save some time because I just always have so much shit I want to be playing at all times.

figaro

Postby Beautiful Jugdish » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:37 am

maybe ill try to speedrun 8

Beautiful Jugdish

Postby VHB » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:58 am

Beautiful Jugdish wrote:its funny cus the sheer breakability of 8 makes it pretty lame on the pure level of gameplay, but man the aesthetic is wonderful to sit in, and i can only imagine itll feel even better remastered.

like it has some of the sickest, most like comprehensive aesthetic concept. "high mystical technology" is a hell of an aesthetic concept. like you can conceive of 8 as basically the "pre-fall" world from 10.

like look at this shit:

the rendered backgrounds do a great job of giving each city its own sense of aesthetic and personality (it helps that they rip off real cities like Paris and Milan[?] for at least two of them)

Dollet

Deling City aka Paris

VHB
VHS

Postby axelrod gunnarson » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:03 am

8 is probably the most "extra" FF game, and I haven't played it since it originally came out, so i'm pretty stoked for the remaster, even if its kind of a mess.

axelrod gunnarson
ok

Postby Beautiful Jugdish » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:16 am

god i think about the dollet mission all the time. fucking brilliant choice to make that the demo.

Beautiful Jugdish

Postby Kenny » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:18 am

Remember how they got busted for ripping off (I think?) Con Air's music in the demo disc and had to change it for the release

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Viz » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:20 am

I remember spending so much time on building my Triple Triad deck.

I thought the summons were pretty sick also. Was it VIII that had the demon summon that drags you to hell?

What is this game breaking mechanic you are all talking about?
Viz

Postby Beautiful Jugdish » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:20 am

lmao i forgot about that

Beautiful Jugdish

Postby figaro » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:27 am

the demo came w/ brave fencer musashi right? totally forgot about that dang game

fucking loved demo discs....I wish I still had like all my old OPM discs... still have a bunch of Dreamcast ones but my DC cd drive is dead and ripping DC games requires stuff I don't have.

figaro

Postby VHB » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:37 am

Viz wrote:I remember spending so much time on building my Triple Triad deck.

I thought the summons were pretty sick also. Was it VIII that had the demon summon that drags you to hell?

Diablos, yeah.

Junction system in general, but specifically you can get most end game magic in large quantities at the beginning of the game via Card Mod + Mag RF and be OP via junctions through the entire game. All just by winning a lot of card games before you even leave Balamb Garden, which is in turn easy because the Balamb Area has enough power rare cards to construct an effectively unbeatable deck. Even further exploitable if you avoid leveling up.

VHB
VHS

Postby Beautiful Jugdish » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:41 am

iirc BFM was actually ff7! i believe the 8 demo was actually available through an issue of PSM. could be mistaken though.

Beautiful Jugdish

Postby Beautiful Jugdish » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:42 am

VHB wrote:
Viz wrote:I remember spending so much time on building my Triple Triad deck.

Diablos, yeah.

Junction system in general, but specifically you can get most end game magic in large quantities at the beginning of the game via Card Mod + Mag RF and be OP via junctions through the entire game. All just by winning a lot of card games before you even leave Balamb Garden, which is in turn easy because the Balamb Area has enough power rare cards to construct an effectively unbeatable deck. Even further exploitable if you avoid leveling up.

that and just keeping squall near death means you can spam his limit break pretty much every turn

Beautiful Jugdish

Postby Kenny » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:50 am

There's also a magic you can draw later that gives you a chance to limit break each turn and you just press triangle to cycle through your team until they get a limit break

Edit: The magic is Aura

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby domesticwhite » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:21 am

ff8 is similar to ff15 w/r/t environments and worlds being utopian magic infused techno cities or suuuuper lowkey bastions from all of it. i love it them both so much for that reason. it's rad to go from Balamb Garden to the seaside town where they deploy to Dollet only to end up in a place like Milan that's being invaded by steampunk technospiders and weird soldiers then go right back.

same is true for ff15, where your hometown castle has these wild sprawling water highways and magic and technology only to end up in a desert gas station and then in some place that looks like coastal italy where spice trade is huge and men don't work and its a female run society, then you look into the horizon and there's some giant techno prison jail that makes no sense but absolute sense.

some of my favorite worlds for sure. ff7's world didn't strike me very mch, nor 9, ff10 had a post-techno utopia that i loved too (someone mentioned this already), then ff11-14 were sorta more traditionally grounded in ff mythos.

domesticwhite

Postby deadbass » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:47 am

You can get Squall's ultimate weapon by the end of disc 1 with careful use of the level-scaling system, which is fun.

God, remember how shocking arriving in Esthar was?

deadbass

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley