Guitar playing/gear thread

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby FourLegsGood » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:54 am

As requested in the music gear thread.

I just put down payments on a new Retromechanical Labs distortion box and a Vermona Retroverb.

FourLegsGood

Postby regular ol' slokra » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:00 am

!!!

ordered one of these that should be waiting for me when i get back to the states:

pretty amped about it
;)

regular ol' slokra
Site Admin

Postby Buzz Fledderjohn » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:06 am

i'm really bummed because medical bills from my tumor removal and ensuing complications earlier this year are breaking my bank and i have to sell my beautiful ibanez hollow-body and fender twin amp that i've played for years. and i'm still a musician, just on the folk side and don't use the electric gear as much anymore.

pm me i guess if anyone's interested in either of those for cheap :-(

(sorry for depressing this thread right off the bat)

Buzz Fledderjohn

Postby FourLegsGood » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:05 am

What type of Twin? I use the Riviera designed "The Twin" (commonly referred to as The Evil Twin. It's okay, but I'd love an old blackface.

FourLegsGood

Postby Buzz Fledderjohn » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:50 am

PR449, 100W

Buzz Fledderjohn

Postby MikeS » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:03 pm

man I'm bummed I sold all my shit when I lost my job in 09'. I've since bought a jazzmaster but haven't gotten an amp yet. I should probably do that with 2014's tax return.
MikeS

Postby bronzecast » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:16 pm

Got this Bass VI a few weeks ago. All my other guitars feel like toys now.

bronzecast

Postby Bartatua » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:00 pm

i received a set of tubes as a gift a year ago and neve put them in my amp. my amp is about 10 years old and still has factory tubes, but only gets played here and there, and nothing really sounds like its failing or anything. is anything particularly good or bad going to happen if i replace them? i don't know shit about amps
i broke somebody's ribs

Bartatua
Site Admin

Postby brittle » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:02 pm

are you guys constantly adding pedals, or do you sell and trade older stuff as you upgrade?

every time i've upgraded something i've retired whatever it's replacing, but i see these guys with multiple distortion and delays in their chain and i don't get it. i wonder if it's a matter of honestly thinking they need discrete variations in types of pedals vs just not willing to part with it.

i can see hanging on to stuff for recording-- and if you got room on your pedal board, why not keep them on when you play-- but it still seems kinda silly to lug them around to every show.

brittle

Postby Bananafish » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:03 pm

Bartatua wrote:i received a set of tubes as a gift a year ago and neve put them in my amp. my amp is about 10 years old and still has factory tubes, but only gets played here and there, and nothing really sounds like its failing or anything. is anything particularly good or bad going to happen if i replace them? i don't know shit about amps

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Valves-Tubes-Do-I-need-to-Bias-my-Valve-amplifier-/10000000000987756/g.html

brittle wrote:every time i've upgraded something i've retired whatever it's replacing, but i see these guys with multiple distortion and delays in their chain and i don't get it.

double distortion will change your life
Last edited by Bananafish on Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bananafish

Postby endoskeleton » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:05 pm

anyone who owns a telecaster post a picture of it here, especially if it's a beat up one

endoskeleton

Postby Bartatua » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:05 pm

i would take it somewhere, i'm too clueless to mess around with those mysel even if it's easy. i was wondering if it would affect the sound much or at all given that they are just the power tubes
i broke somebody's ribs

Bartatua
Site Admin

Postby brittle » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:05 pm

Bartatua wrote:i received a set of tubes as a gift a year ago and neve put them in my amp. my amp is about 10 years old and still has factory tubes, but only gets played here and there, and nothing really sounds like its failing or anything. is anything particularly good or bad going to happen if i replace them? i don't know shit about amps

i'd save em until you notice a need to replace them.

you might notice a small change in the tone, but not enough to waste the rest of life left in your old ones.

brittle

Postby Bartatua » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:09 pm

brittle wrote:

i'd save em until you notice a need to replace them.

you might notice a small change in the tone, but not enough to waste the rest of life left in your old ones.

thanks
i broke somebody's ribs

Bartatua
Site Admin

Postby brittle » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:09 pm

Bananafish wrote:double distortion will change your life

i use 2 :oops:

big muff for creamy and a rat for punchy

but that was an intentional coupling. i'm wondering if everybody builds their setup with that much intent or if they just keep them on their board just in case (or out of emotional attachment).
Last edited by brittle on Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brittle

Postby FourLegsGood » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:15 pm

brittle wrote:are you guys constantly adding pedals, or do you sell and trade older stuff as you upgrade?

every time i've upgraded something i've retired whatever it's replacing, but i see these guys with multiple distortion and delays in their chain and i don't get it. i wonder if it's a matter of honestly thinking they need discrete variations in types of pedals vs just not willing to part with it.

i can see hanging on to stuff for recording-- and if you got room on your pedal board, why not keep them on when you play-- but it still seems kinda silly to lug them around to every show.

When I was younger I would sell pedals to get new ones and I lost a lot of stuff I really liked that way. I keep everything now and just add more pedals to my collection. My live rig changes depending on the project and it's really nice to have a ton of stuff at your disposal because you never know when you'll need it.

FourLegsGood

Postby FourLegsGood » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:18 pm

Also, in-song you can need two different types of overdrive or OD and distortion or distortion and fuzz so...

FourLegsGood

Postby Bartatua » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:18 pm

i really want a bunch of pedals but dont play enough to justify it. i had to stop myself from buying one of those big line 6 multi fx things last year
i broke somebody's ribs

Bartatua
Site Admin

Postby Grumby » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:22 pm

Grumby

Postby hotdogs » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:27 pm

tight gear guys
hotdogs

Postby Slay Da Pink Fleshy Beast » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:33 pm

brittle wrote:are you guys constantly adding pedals, or do you sell and trade older stuff as you upgrade?

I horde everything in the fear that one day I may want it back.

Slay Da Pink Fleshy Beast

Postby Slay Da Pink Fleshy Beast » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:48 am

:?
Though its nice seeing all those boxes i really should sell some of it.

Slay Da Pink Fleshy Beast

Postby odilon redon » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:01 am

bronzecast wrote:Got this Bass VI a few weeks ago. All my other guitars feel like toys now.

fuck i want one of these so bad

odilon redon

Postby Swelling Itching Brain » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:12 am

Bartatua wrote:i really want a bunch of pedals but dont play enough to justify it. i had to stop myself from buying one of those big line 6 multi fx things last year

I bought a Pod X3 Live cheap second hand and the build quality is solid and range of stuff it can do is awesome.

Some would say it sounds worse than analog/is decidedly uncool but I thought it was money well very spent for the price of a couple of middle of the range pedals. Great for messing around with in the bedroom and I've found the USB/XLR mic/aux-in/headphones ports etc. to be super handy.
Sometimes you just want to dial up a sound and start practising without having to set up half the living room at 9:30pm on a weeknight and it's perfect for that situation.

Basically I like you would love to have a shopping cart full of pedals, because they're gorgeous, but convenience and budget won out.

:ugeek:

every now and then I'll watch this vid and sperg out with Nils
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH

Swelling Itching Brain

Postby Swelling Itching Brain » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:40 am

And I guess so I can dork about technique as well as gear:

Do you guys have practice routines, or stick to learning other people's songs in a regimented fashion? Do you spend more time just writing your own thing? Jamming over stuff?

What do you think has made the biggest improvement in your skills? Whether you play tasteful jazz ninths jams or ear piercing freeform noise..

Come, sit down and share :ahuh:
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH

Swelling Itching Brain

Postby Lucky » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:20 am

I used to have a Jaguar :cry: It had screwed up pickups and I wanted to put a humbucker in put I ended up selling it earlier this year because I had no money.

Got a Squier Strat now. Added Fender neck and Seymour Duncan hotrail. Probably throw a humbucker on it at some point for the hell of it.

Only pedals I've got at the moment are a Fuzz Factory, a Crybaby and a homemade phaser based off a Phase Royal
Had a Big Cheese clone which I really shouldn't have sold

Need to get a better amp after xmas, only have some terrible tiny Orange thing at home because I sold my Fender Vibro Champ too

I just mess about in Polvo/Unwound/SY/Malkmus tunings because its easier to make up stuff. Also I never bothered to learn any scales (apart from whatever got picked up learning Dinosaur Jr solos) so it covers that up I guess.
Last edited by Lucky on Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
katy perry pissing all over my diamond-encrusted crown as I sentence another peon to death

Lucky

Postby Hot Piece » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:25 am

reccs on stereo distortion units please without going into thermionic labs territory/pricing?

Hot Piece

Postby helen just » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:04 am

i really need a decent attentuator now but afaik the best solution is a fluxtone speaker and i don't have that kind of dough :(
helen just

Postby brittle » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:19 am

Grey Poupon wrote:And I guess so I can dork about technique as well as gear:

Do you guys have practice routines, or stick to learning other people's songs in a regimented fashion? Do you spend more time just writing your own thing? Jamming over stuff?

What do you think has made the biggest improvement in your skills? Whether you play tasteful jazz ninths jams or ear piercing freeform noise..

for like 10 years, i had this idea that scales and theory would just bridle creativity.

but now that i don't really care to write music and play in bands, and just play along with whatever comes up on a shuffle, i'm realizing that all i ever wanted/needed were major scales and their relative minor pentatonic. pretty much everything i played before i figured that out (parts that i thought was so unique and free) still roughly falls into those boundaries. so the music still feels the same, only now i can play more accurately and improvise better.

definitely playing more tunefully-- and yes, more creatively than i ever would have thought possible. just one more thing to regret about a lifetime of always thinking i knew better than the authorities.

yeah, learn yr scales dudes.

brittle

Postby regular ol' slokra » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:46 am

Grey Poupon wrote:And I guess so I can dork about technique as well as gear:

started out just learning songs i liked and practicing various techniques

now i mostly play stuff i write which i either hear in my head when i'm walking around or come up with just improvising on my own

when i play now it's probably like 10% songs i like, 50% stuff i've written, 10% practicing things i've composed in my head to get it up to speed/down right, 5% practicing sweeps, and 25% improv

i really have no music theory or any idea about music other than what sounds good

most of my early improvements came from practicing metal songs/building speed and right hand technique but in the last year i've made pretty huge strides just from practicing improvisation
;)

regular ol' slokra
Site Admin

Next

Return to Aguachile Alley